The American Club Historic Hotel Commemorates 100th Anniversary in 2018
Kohler Co. will celebrate its heritage with Centennial events on August 5 and ongoing tributes planned throughout the milestone year at The American Club
KOHLER, Wis. — June 5, 2018 — Kohler Co., one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies and a leader in kitchen and bath plumbing products, will commemorate the 100th anniversary of The American Club with a live concert featuring Grammy-award winning artist Amy Grant on August 5, and additional experiences throughout the year to honor the historic building.
The American Club – now a Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five-Diamond resort hotel – has a storied past dating back to 1918, when it was built as a dormitory for immigrant factory workers of the company. The stately Tudor-influenced red brick landmark featuring a gabled blue slate roof and dormers, is an iconic testament to the American spirit and the company’s pursuit to preserve its links to the immigrant workers who first resided in the building. The renowned property is also recognized by both the Historic Hotels of America and National Register of Historic Places.
“For the last 100 years, The American Club has fittingly represented our company’s commitment to the American dream and dedication to the people living in and visiting this community,” said Christine Loose, Group Director Lodging Kohler Co. “The concept of gracious living and creating a sense of belonging has always been important to the company and our heritage. Guests experience this point of difference firsthand through our well-appointed accommodations, memorable offerings, festive events and gracious Midwestern hospitality.”
Taking place on August 5, the Centennial dedication will include a parade, a traditional Kohler ice cream social and keynote comments from Herbert V. Kohler, Jr., Executive Chairman, from the front lawn of The American Club. The highly anticipated celebration will culminate with fireworks and a live performance by Grammy-award winning artist, Amy Grant, at the Kohler Village Bowl.
In addition to the rich historical experiences already implemented throughout the resort, visitors can enjoy new and improved historical tributes throughout the centennial year, including:
- A new history exhibit in The American Club Library with never-before-seen pieces from the company’s extensive archives that highlight the unique history of the building.
- The American Club Historic Facts Posters displayed throughout the property, offering visitors a self-guided tour of the property.
- The Immigrant – a sculpture created by Artist in Residence Stephen Paul Day – on display in The American Club. Created in the Kohler factory using cast iron, the sculpture depicts a young boy draped in an American flag. The artist was inspired by John Michael Kohler’s story of immigrating to the United States from Austria in 1849 as a 10-year-old boy and is a nod to Kohler Co.’s investment in the immigrant workforce.
- The Immigrant Restaurant’s 100th Anniversary seven-course tasting menu pays homage to the restaurant’s thoughtful dining rooms and early Wisconsin settlers: French, Dutch, German, Normandy, Danish and English.
- Historic Hotel Tours available daily at 2pm led by knowledgeable historians and concierge members.
Renovations, Expansions & New Offerings
In 2018, Destination Kohler is undertaking numerous renovation and expansion projects to mark the century milestone and, as well as debuting an array of new offerings which showcase its commitment to the overall guest experience, including:
- Kohler Waters Spa, one of only 60 Forbes Five-Star spas in the world and an industry leader in hydrotherapy, completes a six-month expansion plan at its flagship location at the Forbes Five-Star and AAA Five-Diamond Destination Kohler. The exciting renovations will include nine new treatment rooms, expansive common space with additional seating around the spa’s prominent relaxation pool and a luxurious bridal suite.
- Inn on Woodlake, a boutique hotel overlooking the serene Wood Lake, recently expanded to feature multi-room bedroom suites perfect for groups traveling together, in addition to several new single guest rooms and an updated lobby, atrium and bar space.
- The Industry In Action Factory Tour – which begins at the Kohler Design Center’s lower-level history museum of Kohler Co. – is led by dedicated retired factory workers of Kohler Co. and has been enhanced to more accurately reflect the evolution of the company’s manufacturing platforms.
- Bold Cycle, a new cycling studio that opened in June at The Shops at Woodlake Kohler near the recently expanded Yoga on the Lake Hot Yoga studios, further exemplifies the resort’s dedication to elevating its all-encompassing wellness offerings.
Stay up to date on resort news and happenings on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Destination Kohler is located in the quaint Village of Kohler, one hour north of Milwaukee and two-and-a-half hours north of Chicago.
About Kohler Co. Hospitality & Real Estate Group
The Kohler Co. Hospitality & Real Estate profile includes The American Club, boasting the first and only Forbes Five-Star hotel property in Wisconsin, and world-renowned championship golf courses Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run. Acquired in 2004, its sister property, The Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa in the birthplace of golf, St Andrews, Scotland, is a AA Five Red Star property and recognized as one of the most luxurious resorts in the world. In July 2017, Kohler Co. opened its newest property, LODGE KOHLER, a luxury hotel in the new Titletown District in Green Bay, Wis. located across the street from the historic Lambeau Field.
About Destination Kohler
Herb Kohler created Kohler Co.’s Hospitality & Real Estate Group with the reclamation of The American Club, the first and only Forbes Five-Star hotel in Wisconsin, and then built world-renowned championship golf courses, The Straits at Whistling Straits and The River at Blackwolf Run. The resort is named one of the top three golf resorts in North America, by Golf Digest Magazine. Kohler Waters Spa is the only Forbes Five-Star spa in Wisconsin and one of 60 in the world. The resort features 12 dining establishments from the Four-Star Immigrant to traditional pub fare at Horse & Plow and rustic country gourmet at River Wildlife. The resort is located in the Village of Kohler, Wisconsin, one hour north of Milwaukee and two and a half hours north of Chicago.